Brea California- July 17th 2013 – Wednesday evening around 9pm – relaxing in my room watching Netflix (code for porn) when out of no where my entire room is illuminated with an angelic white light.
SUCK! I remember this episode of the X-Files and I don’t want to be taken..with my pants down!
moments later.. BANGING on the front door followed by a man yelling “BREA POLICE! Please come to the door!”
my thought process: WTF! the police are here? this isn’t illegal porn!..rule 34! ….who the hell did I rent this room from!? Fucking craigslist!
now there’s POUNDING on the door with another guy yelling “BREA PD open this door!”
hobbling out of my doorway while putting my pants back on I see Kevin downstairs (guy who owns the house) squinting out the window with that whole Gizmo Bright Light! Bright Light! look in his eyes.
Kevin: What should I do?
Me: DUDE! Open the fucking door already!
cut scene with the two of us stepping outside .. blocking off the driveway there are 2 squad cars with flood lights pointed at the house (so much for my X-Files adventure) 4 Brea cops strategically placed (no guns drawn – one guy had a taser out) and that nosy PETA freak CUNT of a neighbor standing on the edge of her lawn yelling “They don’t have a hunting license for those traps!” (so much for being the anonymous tip BITCH)
The rest of the story is rather uneventful. The police were there responding to a “tip” that people in our house were trapping, torturing, and killing animals on the property.
In fact all we had done was set 2 “live catch” bait traps because of the family of skunks that moved into the sewer drain in between the two houses. Come to find out that bestiality whore (why else would you own a mini horse) next door was having a titty attack over it and called the cops.
They asked permission to search the house and yard. Kevin asked if they had a warrant (they did not) so he told them no. The cop then gave him some bullshit story as to why they were allowed to search the front yard without probable cause. They found nothing other then those 2 traps and left.
Now that was about a month ago.. and I’m still left with this shitty feeling towards the police. Some may say “they were just doing their jobs” or ” if you haven’t done anything wrong what do you have to hide?”
I don’t know where this feeling is coming from..(aside from me having a typical hatred all things authoritative)
Yes, I think the theatrics of it all was a bit excessive. They couldn’t have shown up during the day? those flood lights were necessary? Having us come out of the house while they “searched” the front yard? They needed 2 cars blocking off our drive way and 4 officers as back up to look into a “tip”?
I couldn’t help but feel like they had violated a few of our basic rights. So I started to look into it. Over the past few weeks I went from uninformed citizen to full pledged conspiracy nut and Holy Shit!..the rabbit hole does deep (balls deep)
It quickly became overwhelming and exhausting reading article after article and watching news feeds and clips of police fucking up all over the nation. All ultimately leading to one very factual conclusion – We are becoming/have become a Police State –
Police State. (noun) – A state in which the government exercises rigid and repressive controls over the social, economic and political life of the population.
That’s not a far fetched statement to make – most people feel that as a nation – in the past 10 years – we have given up some freedoms and liberties for just a bit of false security.
Now I’m not going to sit here and quote different articles and manifestos or recite politicians and the prophet George Carlin (all praise be unto him)
That’s not why I writing this – more or less this dribble is to question myself and the one or two of you that have read this far.
Do you even know and understand your basic rights as a Citizen? No? Well, either did I until recently.
What I’ve learned in tl;dr terms -The Bill of Rights addresses the majority of citizens’ rights.
- The first amendment covers the freedom of religion, press and expression and specifically prohibits Congress from making any rulings to the contrary.
- The second amendment preserves the right of the citizens to have weapons and form a militia.
- The third amendment prohibits the government from forcing citizens to house soldiers in their homes.
- The fourth amendment protects citizens from unreasonable searches or seizures of their property.
- The fifth amendment ensures that the government cannot take property from citizens without compensation and establishes some of the conditions for a fair trial.
- The sixth and seventh amendments ensure that citizens receive a trial before a jury and that it is timely.
- The eighth amendment outlaws cruel and unusual punishment.
- The ninth amendment asserts that the Bill of Rights, itself, should not be interpreted as the only rights that U.S. citizens should enjoy.
- The 10th amendment gives any power that is not specifically attributed to the United States government in the Constitution to the individual states or to the citizens.
Boom! added word count – my 11th grade American History teacher would be proud.
Ok, so for me I now understand my rights – which is fine but now what do I do about that knowledge and the current state of affairs in this County.
I figure I can be 1 of 4 types of people:
- The Ostriches – who would rather just ignore it all together.
- The Conspiracy Nut – who prefers to sling regurgitated biased propaganda and rhetoric bullshit then offer a solution to the problem – like these guys – who make a valued point until you realize they are just fear propagandists.
- The Activist – more like watch dog groups they keep up a daily stream of articles and news clips covering the actions of the police and trying to spread the word where they can – like them on Facebook 🙂
- The Observationist – a true satirist – someone who can look at the situation and related it back in a comical way without turning off an audience and educate them to the real issue at the same time. Great example of it here
“If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they’ll kill you.”Oscar Wilde
My option was clear. As an inspiring comedian I’m used to getting groans gasps and occasional laughs whenever I get on stage. Oddly enough, finally having something to be “passionate” about, I haven’t even tried to broach this subject matter in front of an audience. Yeah, it’s a heavy heated topic that isn’t the easiest to might light and funny right off the bat. I fail at jokes and new premises ALL the time, so why should this be any different. I tell self deprecating fat jokes, confess my midwest misogyny and have seen more eyes roll at the shit that comes outta my mouth then a Mormon at your front door.
Yet I’m afraid of people not getting on board and turned off with my idea’s over a very real Police State – that doesn’t make sense outside of a general fear of failure on my part.
In trying to figure out how to end this first rant on my site. I’d like to quote Dirk Diggler “Wow! I don’t know what to say, I guess the only thing I can say… is I’ll promise to keep Rockin’ and Rollin’ ….blah blah blah.. I’m gonna keep trying if you guys keep trying.. let’s keep Rockin’ and Rollin’ man!”